Course Objectives (3 CE Credits)
In the current world of dentistry, digital technology can assist in finding, assessing and treating various dental cases. In this presentation, Dr. Anamaria Muresan, Dr. Siamak Abai, Dr. Justin Chi and Will Schmidt, RDA, use a series of case examples taken from recent episodes of Chairside Live to discuss the benefits of 3-D scanning and other digital tools in navigating numerous treatment situations. Gary Pritchard, J.D., also examines the potential solutions to receiving negative online reviews concerning your dental practice.
Participants who view this presentation will acquire useful clinical and practical information on various related topics, including:
- Possible benefits of using cone beam computed tomography scans to plan implant cases
- The advantages of digital scanning in urgent denture cases involving severe periodontal disease
- The convenience of scanning teeth and milling crowns in-office
- How digital treatment planning software assists in providing stability to implant cases
- Successful implementation of digital photography in treatment planning
- The procedure involved with building esthetic onlays through chairside digital dentistry in a single appointment
- Utilizing Yelp to maintain a positive image of your practice
- Comparing and contrasting guided versus freehand implant surgery
- Fabricating dentures with CAD/CAM software
In modern dentistry, the success of a practice can hinge on the professional’s ability to adapt to new technologies. Understanding both the positive and negative aspects of the up-and-coming tools of the trade enables the dental professional to better influence the care and comfort of the patient and the financial bottom line of the practice. CAD/CAM technologies, in-office milling and digital photography can lead to more accurate case assessments and treatments, not to mention the time saved for those both in and beside the chair.
In this presentation, experts in their respective fields spotlight examples featured on recent episodes of Chairside Live to discuss the technologies available to dentists today.
CAUTION: When viewing the techniques, procedures, theories and materials presented, you must make your own decisions about specific treatment for patients and exercise professional judgment regarding the need for further clinical testing or education and your own clinical expertise before trying to implement new procedures.
- Nicolielo LF, Van Dessel J, Jacobs R, Martens W, Lambrichts I, Rubira-Bullen IR. Presurgical CBCT assessment of maxillary neurovascularization in relation to maxillary sinus augmentation procedures and posterior implant placement. Surg Radiol Anat. 2014 Nov;36(9):915-24.
- Jang A, Lee J, Shin J, Lee H. Association between Smoking and Periodontal Disease in Korean Adults: The Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2010 and 2012). Korean J Fam Med. 2016 Mar;37(2):117-22.
- Fleming MJ. In-office milling: maximizing aesthetics and efficiency. Dent Today. 2012 Nov;31(11):140-2.
- Kamerer D. Understanding the Yelp review filter: An exploratory study. First Monday. 2014 Sep 1:19(9).
- Pozzi A, Tallarico M, Marchetti M, Scarfò B, Esposito M. Computer-guided versus free-hand placement of immediately loaded dental implants: 1-year post-loading results of a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Eur J Oral Implantol. 2014 Autumn;7(3):229-42.
- Charette JR, Goldberg J, Harris BT, Morton D, Llop DR, Lin WS. Cone beam computed tomography imaging as a primary diagnostic tool for computer-guided surgery and CAD-CAM interim removable and fixed dental prostheses. J Prosthet Dent. 2016 Aug;116(2):157-65.