Course Objectives (2 CE Credits)
While patients have long ranked lifelike esthetics as a primary concern for restorations in the anterior, until recently the available restorative materials often forced practioners to choose less-than-natural-looking solutions in order to prioritize the functional requirements of the oral situation.
In this presentation, Dr. Michael DiTolla utilizes lithium-disilicate restorations to demonstrate how the new class of translucent, natural-looking restorative materials can deliver desired results even when the clinical situation is less than ideal. Participants who view this presentation will gain valuable insight into effective restorative techniques, including:
- Replacing unesthetic restorations in the anterior
- Working within patient requests and constraints
- Indications and uses for monolithic glass ceramics
- Nonintrusive anesthetization
- Bur types and functions
- Removing zirconia restorations
- The Two-Cord Impression Technique
- Techniques for cementing IPS e.max® (Ivoclar Vivadent; Amherst, N.Y.)
- The elimination of black triangles with no-prep veneers
The ongoing improvements made by manufacturers of monolithic materials provide clinicians with new options for exceeding functional requirements while matching existing healthy dentition, providing both patients and dentists with desired outcomes.
In this presentation, Dr. DiTolla demonstrates how the new class of natural-looking, translucent materials is able to achieve the difficult task of blocking out dark preparations while maintaining the required esthetics for the anterior zone.
CAUTION: When viewing the techniques, procedures, theories and materials that are presented, you must make your own decisions about specific treatment for patients and exercise personal professional judgment regarding the need for further clinical testing or education and your own clinical expertise before trying to implement new procedures.
- Shono NN, Al Nahedh HN. Contrast ratio and masking ability of three ceramic veneering materials. Oper Dent. 2012 Jul-Aug;37(4):406-16.
- Sravanthi Y, Ramani YV, Rathod AM, Ram SM, Turakhia H. The comparative evaluation of the translucency of crowns fabricated with three different all-ceramic materials: an in vitro study. J Clin Diagn Res. 2015 Feb;9(2):ZC30-4.
- Prevedello GC, Vieira M, Furuse AY, Correr GM, Gonzaga CC. Esthetic rehabilitation of anterior discolored teeth with lithium disilicate all-ceramic restorations. Gen Dent. 2012 Jul-Aug;60(4):e274-8.
- Gehrt M, Wolfart S, Rafai N, Reich S, Edelhoff D. Clinical results of lithium-disilicate crowns after up to 9 years of service. Clin Oral Investig. 2013 Jan;17(1):275-84.