Course Objectives (1 CE Credit)
The immediate extraction and implant placement procedure is an advantageous treatment option that offers significant benefits, including preservation of the soft tissue and underlying bone. By following a straightforward set of clinical guidelines for atraumatic tooth removal, site preparation and implant placement, practitioners can provide patients with swift relief for a non-restorable tooth. While particularly effective for broken teeth and other “emergency” situations, this procedure is an excellent option whenever there is sufficient bone volume for immediate implant placement. Topics include:
- The advantages of immediate tooth extraction and implant placement
- Conditions that cause patients to seek emergency tooth replacement
- The basic clinical protocol for an emergency implant case
- Achieving optimal primary implant stability and esthetic results
- The benefits of provisionalization
- How to fabricate and utilize a variety of provisional restorations
- Methods that help preserve bone and natural soft-tissue contours
Immediate extraction and implant placement yields a variety of advantages, especially when the patient has a pressing need for tooth replacement. The treatment protocol simultaneously meets the patient’s desire to receive the restoration as quickly as possible and preserves the bone beneath the extraction site. Immediate extraction and implantation shortens overall treatment time, maximizes primary stability, and can be used to achieve a more predictable and esthetic restoration.
CAUTION: When viewing the techniques, procedures, theories and materials that are presented, you must make your own decisions about specific treatment for patients and exercise personal professional judgment regarding the need for further clinical testing or education and your own clinical expertise before trying to implement new procedures.
- Noelken R, Neffe BA, Kunkel M, Wagner W. Maintenance of marginal bone support and soft tissue esthetics at immediately provisionalized OsseoSpeed implants placed into extraction sites: 2-year results. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2014 Feb;25(2):214-20.
- Valentini P, Abensur D, Albertini JF, Rocchesani M. Immediate provisionalization of single extraction-site implants in the esthetic zone: a clinical evaluation. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2010 Feb;30(1):41-51.