Course Objectives (1 CE Credit)
Digital treatment planning, guided surgery and CAD/CAM-produced provisional restorations are foremost among the tools helping clinicians practice restorative-driven implant dentistry. Digital models of the patient’s mouth allow doctors to visualize the prosthetic outcome and virtually place the implants in the position needed to support the ideal restoration. Surgical guides allow for precise control of implant placement, and a prefabricated provisional restoration can be used to fine-tune the prosthetic design and train the soft tissue in preparation for the final restoration. In this multimedia presentation, Dr. Perry Jones illustrates how digital tools and CAD/CAM prosthetics can be utilized to achieve a predictable, esthetic outcome. Topics include:
- The use of CBCT scanning and digital impression systems in implant therapy
- Development and execution of digital treatment plans
- Fabrication and use of surgical guides
- Digital design of immediate provisional restorations
- Managing soft-tissue esthetics in the smile zone
- Drilling protocol for guided surgery cases
- Split-thickness grafts and soft-tissue augmentation
- Design and delivery of screw-retained implant bridges
Advancements in digital dentistry and CAD/CAM restorations have simplified prosthetically driven treatment planning. Using the precise diagnostic data provided by CBCT and intraoral scanning, practitioners can formulate the precise digital treatment plan needed to achieve the desired restoration. Implants can be virtually placed in advance of surgery, and surgical guides can be used to maintain the exact implant positioning required by the virtual treatment plan. By using these tools, clinicians can achieve a functional, esthetic result in the most challenging of cases.
- Farley NE, Kennedy K, McGlumphy EA, Clelland NL. Split-mouth comparison of the accuracy of computer-generated and conventional surgical guides. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2013 Mar-Apr;28(2):563-72.
- Jones PE. Creating surgical guides using CBCT and intraoral scanning. Inclusive. 2012;3(3):83-90.
- Jones PE. Clinical case report: iTero® digital scanning technology and tooth-supported surgical guides. Inclusive. 2013;4(2):55-64.
- Jones PE. Accurate implant placement. Dent Today. 2013 Nov;32(11):124-8.
- Jones PE. Implant planning and placement with a guided surgical guide. Dental Products Report. August 2014.
- Deeb GR, Soliman O, Alsaad F, Jones P, Deluke D, Laskin DM. Simultaneous virtual planning implant surgical guides and immediate laboratory-fabricated provisionals: an impressionless technique. J Oral Implantol. 2016 Aug;42(4):363-9.