Course Objectives (2 CE Credits)
To more accurately predict the peri-implant esthetic outcome before removing a failing tooth, an understanding of five diagnostic keys is essential. Ultimately, the predictability of peri-implant esthetics may be determined by the patient's presenting anatomy rather than the clinician's ability to manage state-of-the-art procedures. This article by Dr. John C. Kois discusses the following diagnostic keys:
- Relative tooth position
- Form of the periodontium
- Biotype of the periodontium
- Tooth shape
- Position of the osseous crest
Each of the five diagnostic keys is intimately related to the others. These diagnostic keys will enable the clinician to develop treatment options and clinical procedures that are more specific to the desired therapeutic outcome.
CAUTION: When viewing the techniques, procedures, theories and materials that are presented, you must make your own decisions about specific treatment for patients and exercise personal professional judgment regarding the need for further clinical testing or education and your own clinical expertise before trying to implement new procedures.
- Abrams H, Kopczyk RA, Kaplan AL. Incidence of anterior ridge deformities in partially edentulous patients. J Prosthet Dent. 1987 Feb;57(2):191-4.
- Abrams L. Augmentation of the deformed residual edentulous ridge for fixed prosthesis. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 1980 May-Jun;1(3):205-13.
- Tarnow DP, Eskow RN. Considerations for single-unit esthetic implant restorations. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 1995;16:778-88.
- Jansen CE, Weisgold A. Presurgical treatment planning for the anterior single-tooth implant restoration. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 1995 Aug;16(8):746, 748-52, 754 passim.
- Weisgold AS, Arnoux JP, Lu J. Single-tooth anterior implant: a word of caution. Part I. J Esthet Dent. 1997;9(5):225-33.
- Garber DA. The esthetic dental implant: letting restoration be the guide. J Am Dent Assoc. 1995;126:319-25.
- Becker W, Ochsenbein C, Tibbetts L, Becker BE. Alveolar bone anatomic profiles as measured from dry skulls. Clinical ramifications. J Clin Periodontol. 1997;24:727-31.
- Kois JC. Esthetic extraction site development: the biologic variables. Contemporary Esthetics and Restorative Practice. 1998;2:10-8.
- Saadoun AP, LeGall M, Touati B. Selection and ideal tridimensional implant position for soft tissue aesthetics. Pract Periodontics Aesthet Dent. 1999 Nov-Dec;11(9):1063-72.
- Salama H, Salama M, Garber D, Adar P. Developing optimal peri-implant papillae within the esthetic zone: guided soft tissue augmentation. J Esthet Dent. 1995;7(3):125-9.
- Salama H, Salama M. The role of orthodontic extrusive remodeling in the enhancement of soft and hard tissue profiles prior to implant placement: a systematic approach to the management of extraction site defects. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 1993 Aug;13(4):312-33.
- Tarnow DP, Cho SC, Wallace SS. The effect of interimplant distance on the height of inter-implant bone crest. J Periodontol. 2000;71:546-9.
- Weisgold AS. Contours of the full crown restoration. Alpha Omegan. 1977;70:77-89.
- Olsson M, Lindhe J. Periodontal characteristics in individuals with varying forms of the upper central incisors. J Clin Periodontol. 1991 Jan;18(1):78-82.
- Sanavi F, Weisgold AS, Rose LF. Biologic width and its relation to periodontal biotypes. J Esthet Dent. 1998;10:157-63.
- Kois JC. Altering gingival levels: the restorative connection part I: biologic variables. J Esthet Dent. 1994;6:3-9.
- Goodacre CJ, Kan JY, Rungcharassaeng K. Clinical complications of osseointegrated implants. J Prosthet Dent. 1999 May;81(5):537-52.
- Phillips K, Kois JC. Aesthetic peri-implant site development. The restorative connection. Dent Clin North Am. 1998;42:57-70.
- Tarnow DP, Magner AW, Fletcher P. The effect of the distance from the contact point to the crest of bone on the presence or absence of the interproximal dental papilla. J Periodontol. 1992 Dec;63(12):995-6.
- Kan JY, Rungcharassaeng K, Umezu K, Kois JC. Dimensions of peri-implant mucosa: an evaluation of maxillary anterior single implants in humans. J Periodontol. 2003;74:557-62.
Reprinted with permission of Compendium. John C. Kois, DMD, MSD: Predictable single-tooth peri-implant esthetics: five diagnostic keys. Compendium. 2004:25(11):585. AEGIS Communications ©2004.