Course Objectives (2 CE Credits)
This course will present the benefits of utilizing guided surgery to simplify dental implant treatment.
Participants will acquire useful clinical and practical information on several related topics, including:
- The history of guided surgery for dental implants
- The basics of CT scans
- Comparing traditional CT and CBCT scans
- Comparing the different surgical guides available for implant surgery
- Indications for using guided surgery for dental implants
- Overview of the tools used during guided implant surgery
- The surgical protocol for guided implant surgery
- Discussions of cases involving guided implant surgeries
Guided surgery is a valuable technique for the clinician aiming to place dental implants with increased accuracy, better preservation of anatomical structures and other benefits. In this presentation, Dr. Schlesinger discusses guided implant surgery and associated technologies.
CAUTION: When viewing the techniques, procedures, theories and materials presented, you must make your own decisions about specific treatment for patients and exercise professional judgment regarding the need for further clinical testing or education and your own clinical expertise before trying to implement new procedures.
- Machado GL. CBCT imaging – A boon to orthodontics. Saudi Dent J. 2015 Jan;27(1):12-21.
- Colombo M, Mangano C, Mijiritsky E, Krebs M, Hauschild U, Fortin T. Clinical applications and effectiveness of guided implant surgery: a critical review based on randomized controlled trials. BMC Oral Health. 2017 Dec 13;17(1):150.
- Hämmerle CH, Stone P, Hung RE, Kapos T, Brodala N. Consensus statements and recommended clinical procedures regarding computer-assisted implant dentistry. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2009;24 Suppl:126-31.
- Orentlicher G, Horowitz A, & Abboud M. Computer-guided implant surgery: indications and guidelines for use. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2012 Nov-Dec;33(10):720-32; quiz 733.